Legal Structure and Incorporation

Your informal community group can gather a lot of vital support and information, but once you want to engage people on contract work or explore land purchase, your group needs to have a legal (corporate) entity.

Your legal form needs to allow you to do things you want to do, so understand your options and work out what will be a good fit for your group's vision, plans and ethos.

The Hub can help you

  • Understand and explore your options around incorporation
  • Find the very best advice from national specialist bodies
  • Secure legal support if necessary

If you choose to become a CLT or a Co-operative, their national support bodies can help you to register new organisations with the Financial Conduct Authority without the need for solicitors:

  • Co-operatives - Co-ops UK can help you register a new housing co-operative.
  • Community Land Trusts - the National CLT Network can help you register a new Community Benefit Society.