Adviser Pool

Please contact us if you are unsure about finding the right people to work with as we can talk this through with you. Below you will find information about specialisms and professional or national supporting bodies who may also be able to help you.

Disclaimer! The Hub doesn't make recommendations of individual Advisers. You may already know of someone who can help you, or want to find a specialist on your own. If you don't, you may find someone in the Adviser Pool who you can work with.

Click on any adviser's name to see more information.

Click on any column heading to sort the table by that column.

Name Architecture & DesignArch Community DevelopmentCom
Financial AdviceFin Legal AdviceLegal Low Carbon AdviceEco Planning AdvicePlan Quantity SurveyorQS Setting up CLH GroupCLH
Land & Valuation AdviceLand Construction Project ManagementConstr
Align Property Partners
Andy Lloyd
Day Cummins Limited
Donleys Limited
Eco Arc Passive House Architects
John Coward Architects Ltd
Wrigleys Solicitors LLP

View table as PDF

Types of adviser

Many building professions have membership or accrediting bodies. If you are not acting on a recommendation, you might want to consult these organisations for advice on local operators, or look out for accreditation marks.

  • AECB The Association for Environmentally Conscious Building is a network of individuals and companies with a common aim of promoting sustainable building. There is a group in Cumbria and one in Lancashire.
  • CIOB The Chartered Institute of Building train and support construction professionals in order to 'promote the science and practice of building and construction for the benefit of society'.
  • NHBC The National House Building Council is a non-profit organisation with the stated purpose 'to give homeowners confidence in the quality of new homes'. They provide inspection services, guidance and training to builders, and are the UK's leading warranty and insurance provider for new homes. Over 10,000 builders and developers are registered with NHBC. You can search a county list, or check if a particular company is registered.
  • The Federation of Master Builders and the National Federation of Builders both offer searchable lists of traders and contractors.
  • RICS The Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors 'promotes and enforces the highest international standards across the built and natural environment' by training and supporting thousands of professional surveyors.
  • RIBA The Royal Institute of British Architects 'aims to support British architects and introduce new people to the world of architecture'. They have a Find an Architect section on their website.
  • RTPI the Royal Town Planning Institute has over 2,000 members in the North West of England and campaigns to 'raise the profile of the profession and generate awareness of the invaluable contribution planners make to building sustainable communities'.

Community Development

To advise on:

  • how to generate interest in the community for your project
  • how to carry out community consultation exercises
  • how to identify need for housing
  • the type of legal entity which would be best for the proposed project
  • funding and fundraising for your project(s)

Financial Advisers

To advise on:

  • raising development finance for community led housing, which may include mortgages, share issues or crowd funding
  • financial aspects of business plans
  • budgeting and cashflow for your organisation and projects
  • assessing the financial accounts of prospective consultants, developers and builders
  • financial risks involved

Legal (Community & Housing)

To advise on:

  • registering the legal form of your group
  • your legal obligations and responsibilities
  • legal risks and issues
  • tenancy agreements, landlord responsibilities and housing management issues

Legal (Property, Planning & Construction)

To advise on:

  • contracts for advisory services
  • site acquisition, option agreements and leases
  • planning issues
  • restrictive covenants, wayleaves and other land issues
  • building contracts
  • contractual disputes

Technical Co-ordinator

They can help you to develop your project and business plan, and help you to apply for grants. They will advise you on how to manage and structure your project and how to commission and manage consultants. Their involvement may be just at the start of the project or you may wish them to support you throughout the process.

They can help by advising on:

  • how to find a suitable site
  • assessing options for sites
  • business plans
  • viability
  • submitting planning applications
  • commissioning consultants, writing project briefs and assembling a project team
  • managing the project team


To advise on:

  • planning policy, including liaison and negotiation with the local planning authorities
  • masterplanning and site layout options
  • submission of planning applications
  • environmental, heritage and listed building issues in relation to planning
  • highways matters in relation to planning
  • dealing with planning conditions
  • planning appeals

Land & Valuation

To advise on:

  • how to find sites
  • contractual mechanisms to secure land for development
  • site viability
  • valuations to support site acquisition and disposal

Architects & Designers

To advise on:

  • housing design concepts and layouts for feasibility/viability assessment
  • sub-contracting and/or managing specialist design input where required
  • plans for planning applications
  • full building construction drawings and specifications
  • full design services based on RIBA plan of works
  • landscape design services

Quantity Surveyor

To advise on:

  • outline costs for feasibility/viability assessment
  • cost management and risks involved
  • procuring builders
  • assessing tenders from builders
  • building contracts
  • quantities of materials
  • analysing completed work and assessing payment to contractors

Construction Project Manager

To advise on:

  • building works, by overseeing quality of the build and how to deal with any issues arising
  • contractor's health and safety responsibilities
  • complying with building regulations
  • progress of the works and how to deal with any issues arising
  • managing relationships with the wider community to resolve issues arising from construction operations

Energy Efficiency and Low-Carbon Design